Posters

Friday, January 18, 2008

Bachelor's Auction (final)



This promotional poster was designed for an organization at a local college here in Oregon. For this event I was given two pictures. One was Ginuwine's "The Bachelor" album cover, and the other was "American Beauty" movie poster. The client wanted a 18x24 poster of ginuwine holding a rose. The problem with photoshoping a rose in Ginuwine's hand is that the perspective are different, not to mention it would look cheeeesssseeeeyyyyyy in the end if you where able to pull it off. In addition when it comes time to print, you will see pixels all over the image causing it to distort.

This is where interpetation comes in to play. A true artist should be able to interpet a client ideas and be creative at the same time. In the past I had trouble focusing on my creative task, and I found myself thinking too much outside the box wasting vaulable design time. Unlike past clients, they was real descriptive on the look they wanted. Which in turn made it easier for me to design because it gave me something to work with. I hate the infamous "Your the artist, come up when something." That means, it's gonna be a waste of time coming up with concepts, designing, and finalizing you work.

I'm becoming long winded, so I'll get back to the project. It's an auction, so no matter how much I think outside the box, there was three remaining facts:

1. They wanted a man holding a rose
2. They wanted the man to be sexy
3. The desired colors were black, red, and grey

I was going for the magazine cover look, so I took pictures of my handsome older brother in various different angles. I reframed from capturing his face because I wanted the audience to have an imagination. By the picture being generic the image becomes something that everyone could relate to.

Now that's understood, I can get into the image itself.
The side profile is so basic it become hard to be creative because your options are limited. I actually struggle with this pose for awhile. And even when I had to red tint, with the text on the right it still looked typical to me. The subject took up the whole left side. I was searching online for inspiration when I came across this magazine cover. The texts was behide the subject and I thought that was a good idea. I ended up pushing the subject down and adding text to cover the subject's head or lack there of. In the end it worked out perfectly. But you be the judge of that.
posted by Jamison at 11:15 AM

2 Comments:

the one you spent the less time with was the one they pick, very funny. good work can't wait to see whats next bye 4 now

January 24, 2008 at 6:21 PM  

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.

April 21, 2008 at 2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home